Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Age of Credibility

Nine years ago, on the day I turned thirty, I was teaching a group of High School Seniors a Lesson in Leadership at a school in Bushwick, Brooklyn.  I was wearing a dress and my hair was straight, my usual attire was pant suits and curly hair. The students asked why the outfit and the hairstyle, I told them it was my birthday and they broke out into song.  It was a sweet moment.  Once the class ended and all the students had exited the room the teacher asked if I had a moment to chat.

Teacher: "Happy Birthday!"

Me:   "Thank you."

Teacher:  "I am going to say to you what my mother said to me on the day I turned thirty, 'Welcome to the age of credibility!"

Me:  "Wow, thank you for that."

Teacher:  "I must tell you it was wonderful to hear and it set me up for an amazing experience in my thirties."

Me: "Thank you for sharing this gift with me."

Nine years later every single time I learn that someone is celebrating their thirtieth birthday I share that Golden Nugget that I was so fortunate to receive in a small classroom in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

My thirties have been such an amazing journey. I have grown, stayed stagnant, tried & failed, started something, ended something, begun again.  I became a woman, a wife, a mother, a partner and I have been so blessed.  30 is real.

My thirtieth decade has been peppered with joy, bliss, challenge, amazing adventures, beautiful moments as well as beautiful breakdowns.

My dear friend just posted a link to an article in the Huffington Post, it's referencing an article about "30 things every woman should have and should now by the time she is thirty." I read this article in 1997 when it was first printed in Glamour Magazine.  I made copies of it, re-typed it and emailed it to many of my girlfriends. I still have a copy of the article in one of my 1997 journals.  I have attached the link herewith, check it out, let me know your thoughts.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/24/turning-30-30-things-every-woman-should-have-and-should-know_n_1447368.html?ref=fb&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=2871956,b=facebook

I had forgotten about this article until today but the words spoken to me by the high school teacher in Brooklyn back in March of 2004 I will always remember: "Welcome to the age of Credibility."

30 for me will always be THE AGE OF CREDIBILITY.

Love transcends all things.  Trust in the wonder and power of your dreams.

Thank you for reading and Sharing.

Sharing is caring!
Love exists and Life is a miracle, treat it all as such.
Namastè.
In possibility,
Jewels

2 comments:

  1. I love this phrase and this post. And, several more of my friends shared this article on Facebook, which I thought was so interesting, given our conversation.

    ReplyDelete