Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Does Art imitate life? Or Does Life imitate art?

Sometime ago I was watching the ABC show by Shonda Rhimes, Scandal and they were showing how the government was able to tap into anyone's "smart" device and see what they were doing;  ANYWHERE, ANYTIME.

I remember telling my partner this was happening now in the world and that is why Shonda was able to share this with us.  Art imitating Life...

I remember getting an EZ Pass in 1996 or so and saying, "NO, way, I do not want this tracking device, absolutely not." The person who gave it to me explained it was just a way to streamline my commuting and it's also cheaper than paying cash.  I had just gotten accustomed to purchasing Token Rolls to save money.  My apprehension was uncanny. I was quite adamant about not using this EZ Pass thing.  I think the cost to cross the bridge at that time was about $3.00 or $3.50. So what if I saved .50 cents, was it worth being "tracked down" by whomever?  I can't even begin to explain, even to myself, where the paranoia came from, I just didn't feel like being "watched."

Fast forward to this week in America. Now I'm not a political pundit in any way shape or form. I don't have enough of a knowledge base for this, nor do I claim to know anything at all for that matter.  I just know what I know and the "SHOCK" people are expressing about the government tapping into the goings ons of individuals is surprising to me.

I recently started listening to WNYC on 93.9 radio.  Sometimes when my bluetooth picks up a call in the car I hit ignore because the talk I am listening to is just too mind expanding to get on the phone and miss the segment.  On WNYC I learned the guy who gave up all this "top secret" information isn't even a government employee.  That is interesting to me.  Anyway, to get back to my initial thought process, when we see things on television  or on film, for our entertainment, should we think it is just a fabrication of someones eloquent imagination?  There is something called an artistic licence, whereby you can take the TRUTH and embellish it with creativity.

It reminds me of the awesome movie, "A Few Good Men."  Remember the famous speech by Jack Nicholson's character, Colonel Jessup.




(Colonel Jessup testified that he ordered Lt Kendrick that Santiago "Wasn't to be touched" and the argument gets heated)
Kaffee: Colonel Jessup, did you order the Code Red?!
Judge: You don't have to answer that question!
Jessup: I'll answer the question. You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I'm entitled!
Jessup: You want answers?!
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessup: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall. We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!
Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?
Jessup: I did the job the—-
Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?!!
Jessup: YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DID!!


I was about 19 or so when I saw this movie and I was so enthralled by the Marine Corps, ooh rah!!! I had gone to a Marine Graduation, in the mid eighties, on Parris Island, North Carolina.  I came home with dog tags, USMC stickers, a cadence call cassette. It was wild.  The Few The Proud...when I saw that movie, particularly that part of the speech I was so conflicted. I had emotions abound. I won't get into it right now just know I watched it over and over again and did lots of research on practices in the military, none that could be tracked cause I didn't grow up in this internet world, I had to go to the library and look inside of a small drawer with small index cards telling me where the book I needed was.  Times were different, in some ways, back then. And times are also the same in many ways.  Political Correctness changes conversations. Naivete, righteousness, experience, ignorance and passion all move conversations and opinions.

Aaron Sorkin wrote A Few Good Men, it was originally a play and was adapted for the screen.
Shonda Rhimes wrote Scandal, as well as, Grey's Anatomy and one of my favorites, Private Practice.
Makes me wonder are they just being CREATIVE? Are they just relying on their Imagination?
What do they know for sure?

So, what do you think? Does Art imitate life or does Life imitate art?


Sharing is caring.

Thank you for reading and sharing.

Namaste!






No comments:

Post a Comment