Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Velcro Pants...Velcro Dreams

For several years of my life I worked with a community based organization (CBO) employed with a whole bunch of wonderful human beings.  I started working with this group in my late twenties and retired from there in my late thirties. The transformations and transitions I experienced while working there were immeasurable yet blatantly obvious.  For starters when I got to the agency I was a single woman and by the time I stopped working there I was already a mother to five amazing human beings.  The lessons I lived and learned there are ingrained, some would say holistically, in my heart, mind, and soul.

Last night I was having a conversation with my brilliant 16 year old niece.  We discussed brainstorming and I tried to drive home the notion of having limitless ideas.  It was great for me to revisit a conversation I had several times in my career at the aforementioned CBO.  I remember, quite vividly, a meeting where we discussed the notion of having velcro pants.  I don't recall the specifics but in general it was the concept of thinking immensely and experiencing the abundance created by that rational. The Velcro Pants conversation was based on some research conducted by some other organization and a professional and personal development workshop on Innovation.  

This week I participated in The Fourth Annual Proud To Be Latina Empowerment Conference, created by Yesi Murill-Gual, one of the speakers #PTBL, Jacqueline Camacho-Ruiz, Founder of JJR Marketing, 
introduced a Strategies for Growth workshop and in it she shared some practical tools.  Wouldn't you know one of her tools was the Anatomy of a Goal.  She recommended making your Goals S.M.A.R.T.  Working with the cbo I was introduced to the S.M.A.R.T. acronym and was so excited to make it one of my practices and to teach it to my students.  Ask anyone who worked with me in this arena and they will tell you my most favorite lesson of all times is "Setting S.M.A.R.T. Goals."  I didn't really hear what the letters stood for in Ms. Camacho-Ruiz's share but for me and the cbo the S.M.A.R.T. acronym stands for  Specific, Measurable, Action-Oriented, Realistic, and Timely.

Like I told my niece last night, "if you put on your velcro pants and use your S.M.A.R.T. Goals while working on your velcro dreams you will attain most anything!"

Love transcends all things.  Trust in the wonder and power of your dreams.

Thank you for reading and Sharing.

Sharing is caring!
Love exists and Life is a miracle, treat it all as such.
Namastè.
In possibility,
Julie Jewels



No comments:

Post a Comment